Ciudad de Zamboanga is a highly urbanized city located in Mindanao.
According to the 2010 census. the city has a population of more than 807,129 making it the 6th most populous and 3rd largest city by land area in the Philippines.
Zamboanga was the capital of the former Moro Province, now Mindanao, from 1903 to 1913.
On September 15, 1911, the Municipalidad de Zamboanga was converted into a city by the legislative order Act. No.272.
Known for Hispanic influences in its culture from which the monicker “Asia’s Latin City” was derived,
Moro Province was consisted of the current regions of Zamboanga Peninsula composed of Lanao, Cotabato, Davao, and Jolo.
Later on, turned into provinces organized under the Department of Mindanao and Sulu along with Agusan, Bukidnon and Surigao but excluding Lanao.
The moro council served as the legislative body of the province, consisting a governor, a state attorney, a secretary, a treasurer, a superintendent of schools, and an engineer.
The governor and its members were appointed by and with the consent of the Philippine Commission.
The province was divided into five districts, with american officers serving as district governors and deputy governors. These districts included: Cotabato, Davao, Lanao, Sulo, Jolo, and Zamboanga.
The district government is composed of the governor, the secretary, and the treasurer who were all appointed by the provincial governor.
The tribal wards were applied on muslim communities, with christians mostly from the visayas, communities were merged and organized forming regular municipalities.
There was really a short-lived revolutionary Republic of Zamboanga that was founded after the collapse of Spanish colonial rule in 1899.
The republic began on May 18, 1899, with the surrender of Real Fuerza de Nuestra Senora La Virgen del Pilar de Zaragoza to the Revolutionary Government of Zamboanga under the leadership of General Vicente Alvarez of the Magdiwang faction of Katipunan, without the intervention of the americans.
But the Republic of Zamboanga was dissolved as the american civil government led by Taft created the moro province composed of all territories of the philippines lying south of the eight parallel of latitude, excepting the island of Palawan and the eastern portion of the northwest peninsula of Mindanao.
On July 23, 1914, the moro province was officially replaced by an agency named the Department of Mindanao and Sulu including the whole island of Mindanao except Lanao.
The agency was tasked to administer all muslim-dominated areas in the territory as the subsequent mestizo revolutionaries of Magdalo held their posts in Manila as presidents in the persons of Aguinaldo, Quezon, Laurel, Osmena, Roxas, et al, after the very treacherous murder of Bonifacio in Cavite.
The magdalo presidents started running the philippines like hell unto the present time, rather than like heaven by the americans as claimed, and instituted the name jose rizal as the hero of the Philippines.
Going further back in the late 12th or early 13th century, Maymay or Mai-Mai were the earliest people of Zamboanga, an indigenous tribe called Subanen who called the place as Sung Lupa or pointed land.
The name Zamboanga was also traced from the word hambangan, meaning the Land of Flowers, and from tagalog word Sagwan, Saguan or Sambuan of the natives paddling vintas in the sea; or from ‘Sambon referring to herbal plants that grew abundantly in the city.
In short, the name and its origin or etymology was misdeclared for about 300 years by the spanish people from the far west and americans from beyond the great pacific ocean.
Badyao, Samal, Tausug and the Yakan tribes which originally embraced the principles of the Katagalugen espoused the katipunan magdiwang settled in the province way way back in the early 14th century.
Spanish intruder-explorers first arrived somewhere in samar and sugbu then to panay in 1521 and promptly called the said visayan islands as yslas de san lazarus, then changed the name to yslas de felipinas.
Zamboanga in 1569 became the site of the spanish settlement and garrison on la caldera, now called barrio recodo, to support the colonizing efforts south of the archipelago, and to repel the attacks of the natives from sulu which they called moro pirates.
In 1599 or after three decades , the Zamboanga fort was closed and transferred to Cebú due to great concerns about attack by their own English enemy on that island, which did not occur.
The spanish forces came back to Zamboanga after gaining reinforcement with visayan troops to battle the natives coming from Sulu archipelago.
In the Year 1831, the Custom house in Zamboanga was established as a port, and it became the main port for direct communication, trading some goods and other services to most of Europe, Southeast Asia and Latin America.
Then the Americans arrived and took over for about 50 years from the Spaniards who stayed for about three centuries.
The spanish troops of more than 80,000 completely and peacefully surrendered to the americans in the 1890s at the price of 20 million dollars, instead of returning the governance to the native revolutionaries of the Katipunan magdiwang, the ones who actually defeated the spaniards just like in Luzon.