… ginulo nila ang pagbaybay sa salitang pinga ng mga tagalog sa pulo ng ginto …
iba-iba ang kanilang mga dilang baluktot, kaya ng umuwi sila sa kanilang malalayong bayan sa kabila pa ng malalawak na karagatan, pilit nilang isinulat itinatak ang himig ng pinga na kanilang narinig na hindi malimutan …
subalit ang bigkas ay kaiba sa sulat nila, kaya naimali nila ang pinga sa pigna … wala silang kasalanan, wala …
The Fontana della Pinga or simply Pinga or Pigna (The Pine Cone) is a former Roman Fountain which now decorates a vast niche in the wall of the Vatican facing the Cortile della Pinga, located in Vatican City, in Rome, Italy.
Composed of a large bronze pine cone almost four meters high which once spouted water from the top, the Pinga originally stood near the Pantheon next to the Temple of Isis.
The courtyard where it stands was originally part of the Cortile del Belvedere, designed by Donato Bramante to connect the palace of Pope Innocent VIII with the Sistine Chapel.
When Bramante died, architect Pirro Ligorio finished the project and added the wall and niche to close the courtyard.
Construction of the Vatican Library divided the Cortile del Belvedere into two areas. The upper part of the courtyard, the Cortile della Pinga, takes its name from the fountain.
The bronze peacocks on either side of the fountain are copies of those decorating the tomb of the Emperor Hacrian, now the Castel Sant’Angelo. The original peacocks are in the Braccio Nuovo Museum.
The Fontana della Pinga stands in the Piazza San Marco near Piazza Venezia. It represents the large ancient pine cone after which the district was named.
The fountain was designed by Pietro Lombardi who was commissioned to create ten small fountains in 1927 to beautify the city.
The fountain is made entirely from travertine stone and is formed by a small basin from which two corollas of tulips stretch as they support the pine cone.
The water spurts from side jets, falling primarily into the basin and then into a larger tank at ground level.
|“Fontana della Pinga” or “Pine Cone Fountain” of Vatican.|
and the creek in aussie west
Pinga Creek, Abydos Station and Woodstock.
Like many areas of Western Australia in the early part of the 21st Century, the Abydos Station has been subjected to frenzied mining and mineral exploration activity, as part of a mining boom. This provides a wealth of information, in addition to historical accounts.
The Abydos Station is located 126 kilometres south of Port Hedland, and is a cattle property covering 248 800 acres. There are a number of historic mines on the property.
At the Lynas Find Goldfield over 140 000 oz of gold was mined, and the Lallah Rookh Mine 319 000 oz of gold was mined.
Eight kilometres east of these mines, the Sulphur Springs Mine produced zinc and copper. The area has multiple deposits of gold, copper, zinc, lead, silver and nickel.
Famous Western Australian geologist E.S. Simpson visited tin mines in the area in 1927. These were located between 16.1 to 12.9 kilometres south west of the Abydos Station Homestead.
These historic mines were called Leed’s Tin Mine, or W. Hall’s Tin Find. The former name could possibly be after Frank Leed, the rationing officer at the station in 1930.
Simpson was shown examples of gadolinite from the field. Between 1951-1975, J.M. Henderson and Sons mined 37 tonnes of cassiterite concentrate from the Pinga Creek area from alluvial gravels.
Multiple cassiterite locations in the Pilgangoora mining area could also be included under Abydos, but will be written elsewhere, due to the shear number.
Shaw River Manganese Ltd started exploring the area in 2008, mainly for gold, copper and anything else they could locate. This has been in rocks called Strelley Granite, Sulphur Springs Group, and the Leirla Formation.
Medium sized active miner in the East Pilbara, Atlas Iron, has been exploring for iron ore, in the Pincunah Greenstone Belt.
The company is considering opening a mine, being its third after nearby Wodgina, and Pardoo which is east of Port Hedland. It descibes the occurrence as banded iron formations hosting supergene bedded hematite and goethite.
Further the historic tin field near the homestead is hosted by a swarm of pegmatites, located in the post tectonic Numbawa Granite. It contains allanite, cassiterite, gadolinite, manganocolumbite, monazite, spessartine, tauteuxenite and polycrase.
Historic mining of the pegmatites has mainly been the alluvial gravels, so well formed specimens were rare.
Like many parts of Western Australia, recent active mining and exploration, does not necessarily translate into many specimens being available.
Pinga Creek is about 25 km long with highest point of 216 m above sea level. Its lowest is 161 m.
20 Pinga Street, WEDGEFIELD WA 6721