agusan … “where the water flows”, an old province in mindanao
akiyan … “where there is boiling/frothing” referring to the Aklan River
- albay… shortened form of the phrase al baybay, “by the shore” shortened to Albay for bicolanos
hamtik … species of large red ants, hispanized to Antique for kinaray-a.
- apayaw … for “negotiable river” in area inhabited by the Isneg.
- basi balan … for magnetic iron referring to the rich iron ore deposits found in an area shortened to Basilan
- batan … a word for the land bridge circling a bay, now referred as Bataan, batan also referred to cluster of islands called as Ivatan strangers in the land.
- batang… in reference to the trunks of logged trees in kalumpang river … transformed to the name Batangas … other old names include Bombon, Balayan and Kumintang, now part of a city known today as Batangas.
- bingit… hispanicized to bengget or benguet…
View original post 1,693 more words