In 1680, the small village of El Paso became the temporary base for Spanish governance of the territory of New Mexico as a result of the Pueblo Revolt, until 1692 when Santa Fe was reconquered and once again became the capital.
El Paso remained the largest settlement in New Mexico until its cession to the US in 1848, when Texas took possession with the Compromise of 1850.
The region was claimed by Texas as part of the treaty signed with Mexico.
Numerous attempts were made to bolster these claims, however, the village which consisted of El Paso and the surrounding area remained essentially a self-governed community with both representatives of the Mexican and Texan government negotiating for control until Texas irrevocably took control in 1846.
El Paso County was established in March…
View original post 175 more words